20130812

Indochina Trip 2013: Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam

My first time to do backpacking, will do "Indochina Trip" covering Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam! Squeezing just 5 days for three (3) countries! Is it possible?? Yes if you fly from one country to another, but this is backpacking , talking about low cost budget we travel by land, cheaper but takes long travel time. Thinking only of 5 days to travel from Manila to Bangkok, then to Siem Reap, to Vietnam then back to Manila? Is it possible?? Of course! This backpacking result would be an Amazing Race trip!

 I'm excited, this is my second time in Thailand but I'm glad that I will visit new country this year "Cambodia" and "Vietnam".

The Grand Palace in Bangkok, Thailand

Angkor Wat in Siem Reap, Cambodia

War Museum in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam


Getting ready for this backpacking trip!

TICKET

Our round trip ticket is originally for Manila to Ho Chi Minh City, for the nth time , thanks to Cebu Pacific's PISO fare last August 2012, that cost roughly 900+php each. But because of my excitement booking that flight I accidentally input the incorrect return date :) Instead of a couple of days, the said travel date went for a month!  The plan for Indochina trip starts with the wrong booking and I waited for another flight promo, this time "Tiger Airways" had their promo.  I was able to book last January for 1 way ticket to Bangkok that cost 800+php per person, from Clark to Bangkok. To sum it up, our ticket is cost 1,700+php.

By the way, supposedly our travel date is July 10, 2013 but Tiger Airways rescheduled it to July 11. I don't understand their reason, they just send an email notification stating that "Your flight has been rescheduled due to a network review". A day after they canceled our flight to Davao!!! Wow Tiger Airways!!!

MONEY MATTERS

Still Czarina Forex for money exchange, Thailand Baht is a bit expensive compare to last year rate, buying rate is 1.5php to 1 Thailand Baht, I remember last it was only 1.37php = 1 bht. For Cambodian Riel and Vietnam Dong, I choose to buy some USD. Cambodia accepts USD, 1 USD = 4 Cambodia Riel and 1 USD = 21000 VND (Vietnam Dong). Buying rate of USD is 44.80php.

Baht and USD


ACCOMMODATION

For Bangkok, I booked again at Sunflower Place thru Hostelworld. I couldn't think of another hostel/guesthouse in Bangkok, my stay here last year is very good, the room is always clean, the place is safe and accessible and the staff is always accommodating. If I would be back in Bangkok , I'd still choose to stay here in Sunflower Place.


For Siem Reap, I booked at Bou Savy Guesthouse. I've learned this place from forums/blogs, a lot of good reviews for this guesthouse, so I decided to pick this. The rate is good, the room is nice and clean, the staff is very accommodating. Mr Bovorn always answers my queries through email, he even arranged our Angkor Wat Tour and the bus trip to Ho Chi Minh City.



For Ho Chi Minh City, I booked at Nguyen Khang Hotel. I've learned about the hotel thru forums and blogs. The rate is good, near to the bus stop of Mekong Express, the bus trip from Siem Reap to Saigon. The reservation is by email only, Ms Houng accommodates all my questions via email.


ITINERARY

July 11, 2013
Departs from Clark Airport
Arrived in Bangkok at 6pm

July 12, 2013
Half Day Temple Tour (Wat Po and Grand Palace)
Terminal 21
Platinum Fashion Mall
Siam Paragon
MBK Center
Patpong

July 13, 2013
Travel from Bangkok to Siem Reap, Cambodia
Check in Bou Savy Guesthouse
Angkok Night Market

July 14, 2013
Angkok Wat Tour
Angkok Night Market

July 15, 2013
Travel from Siem Reap to HCMC, Vietnam
Check in
Ben Thanh Night Market

July 16, 2013
Cu Chi Tour (half day)
Ben Thanh Market
Saigon Square
departs from HCMC Airport at 1am (July 17)


Adventure starts now!

12 comments:

  1. Hi! This is exactly what I've been looking for! Is it okay if I ask you for a detailed itinerary? One that includes transportation from-to another country? Would very much appreciate your response! Thanks!:)

    -Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you had problems with the bus schedule? appreciate your reply. that's my biggest problem, the bus schedule..

    -chris-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We never had problems with the bus schedule, we took Mekong Express from Siem Reap to Vietnam.

      Delete
  3. Private Indochina Tours that can be customized to fit your exact wishes. Experience the best of Vietnam and Indochina with Vietnamese Private Tours. Our carefully designed and planned Private Indochina Tours let you to explore Vietnam plus Laos and Cambodia in one grand Indochina Tours that combines an experience of culture, diverse history, Tours to Vietnam and Cambodia, natural beauties, foods culture and more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have ticket to Thailand, my first stop is Thailand, 2nd stop is Cambodia and last stop is Vietnam. no problem entering Cambodia even without entry ticket

      Delete
  5. How much was your total expenses for this trip? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. How much was your total expenses for this trip? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  7. How much was your total expenses for this trip? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi, will do the tour this july, pero sa vietnam ang entry namin then bangkok ang exit, kahit po ba baligtarin ung itinerary nio ayos lang, walang effect sa country to country transfer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi wala naman effect, will actually do this Indochina tour this week, point of entry this time will be Vietnam, I'll try to post it soon 😃

      Delete
  9. such a nice article. hope you post more .

    ReplyDelete